google.com, pub-1966210621826395, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

M-Audio Keystudio vs Evolution MK249C2 MIDI keyboard




This is a comparison of two 49-key USB MiDi keyboards that I own. The Evolution MK249C2, which I bought 8 years ago from carboot sale and I fought for this MiDi keyboard. It was £20 but I bargained it to £10 and the guy selling it wouldn't so we agreed at £15. No USB lead and/or software when I bought it and I was new with MIDI keyboard that time so I really don't know what to do with it apart from I know I will make use of it for recording. Oh the other thing was, the power button is playing up. I had to clean it with WD40. I used Audacity when I first tried this keyboard and Mixcraft.  Until, I got a proper software, which is EnergyXT and then in recent years Garageband.

The other MIDI keyboard is the M-Audio KeyStudio which is also 49 keys was given to me on my 40th birthday this year. It came with a lead. Looks neat. No problem whatsoever.

I can't detail much about MIDI keyboards because Im not an expert on this. But I will state here the obvious like the Evolution MK249C2 has got LED screen and got lots of knobs and buttons from effects, transpose, tuning, assignable buttons, effects, expression, etc. Also it has sustain pedal input, MIDI output, power input and the USB connectivity.

The M-Audio has less buttons, in fact only three; one for edit and two for octave (+/-). Then the slide bar for volume and the pitch bend and modulation which Evolution MK249C2 got. It only has USB connectivity and sustain pedal input. Although it has less buttons, it has almost the same function with the other one. I've looked online for the manual and it says that when you press the Edit button, you can activate certain programs by pressing the black keys for example to transpose and other functionality.

When I tried both keyboards using Garageband, the sustain pedal worked but when I tried it using EnergyXT software on a laptop, the sustain pedal is not working. I mean the program doesn't allow it.

It's very difficult to choose which program is the best because on Garageband, apart from limited choices, the sound quality is so realistic and the speed is very good. On the other hand, EnergyXT got lovely electric piano and strings and a lot more trance program to choose from. But then no sustain and a slow speed and not so good sound quality than Garageband.

Just hear for yourself the difference.

M-Audio KeyStudio MIDI Keyboard using Garageband




Evolution MK249C MIDI keyboard using EnergyXT

No comments:

Post a Comment